Re: [orca-list] Date and time spokening format question

Hi,
SÃb, 2010-05-01 Ãs 16:59 +0200, Hammer Attila escreveu:
Hy Jon,

Yes, "%H %M is good, but for example english language users better with
%H %MP value. This is resulting for example 08 24 AM spokened format I
think with english locale. This format for example good with hungarian
language, because this format is 24 hour format. Only need choice
following question: We cut unneed 0 numbers if the values are smallest
with 10 or not?

Like I said beffore this thing is better handled by users confident with
each locale, like translators. We must decide what to do, my suggestions
are the following:
1. Leave settings.sayDateFormat and settings.sayTimeFormat translatable
so the default setting for each language can be set by translators. The
disadvantage is that translators must be familiar with strftime
convections. One workaround is to point them to the %X and %x switches
so if they don't know what to do, they can trust locale format, wich
sometimes is not good for some users, like atilla pointed.
2. Leave %X and %x for default and if users want it different simply
change the setting. We could have something in orca prefferences to set
this but I think users don't want to mess with date format, at least
users that don't know how to edit settings files.
3. Find a way to get that format from gnome. Any thoughts about how to
do that? We could check how the clock applet does it to get some ideas
though.

Regards,

Rui Batista

Attila