Re: [orca-list] Help Interpreting Accerciser Output

On Sun, 2010-03-14 at 18:17 -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:

I didn't think you could narow it down that much.  I have it now where
I just checked only opjects but didn't think I could type in the name
of which one to watch.

If you expand the object event type in the tree of events, you should
see all of the different object events. Each of those can be
individually checked or unchecked.

  My other confusion is OK, if I see what events
are showing what, how do I "code for them"? What I mean is for
example, the accessible-name item in the original listing I showed in
a prev. message had parameters in parentheses.

The items in parentheses are:

* event.detail1
* event.detail2
* event.any_data

If you look at the Orca code, you'll see these items being used.

  I guess this is so new
to me, I don't quite get how it all fits in yet.  From my original
view of this test, the accessible-change and visible-data-changed
events seemed most promising to me.

default.py's getListeners method will show you what events Orca listens
to. Scripts can override that if needed, but each time you enable a
listener, you're in danger of a performance hit. Doesn't look like Orca
currently listens for object:visible-data-changed events.

We do listen for object:property-change:accessible-name events, so you
could go that route. To be honest, the reason I typically shun that
event is because Gecko -- where I've spent much of my Orca time -- emits
them like they're going out of style, so it's more performant to ignore
them when possible and prefer another, less common event rather than to
try to work with them. BUT: You're dealing with Gtk+ and Gedit; not
Gecko. So deciding between object:property-change:accessible-name vs.
object:text-changed:insert might prove to be six of one, half dozen of
the other.

In terms of trying either out, again, look at default.py's getListeners
method to determine what Orca method handles the event you're going with
(e.g. onNameChanged, onTextInserted, etc.). Then make your changes to
the that method in the Gedit script.

HTH.
--joanie