Re: [orca-list] GRML VS Ubuntu 10.04

Hi all,
Sorry for top posting a bit,
But  my comments for this mail are mostly with reference to Orca.

On Saturday 13 March 2010 06:20 PM, Michael Whapples wrote:
Hello,
I don't know fully about ubuntu as I looked at it a long time ago and decided it wasn't for me. Some of the things which disturb me about it is: Why do they use unstable releases of gnome in their releases? Certain directions they have gone (eg. pulseaudio) and the difficulties you may have when you want to go against their decisions.

Hey Michael,
I think you are almost correct specially with the recent versions of Ubuntu (9.10). But I follow a common English saying, "if it ain't broken then don't fix it ". I have been using Ubuntu 9.04 since last 1 year and totally satisfied with it. Orca works well out of the box (I did upgrade the versions up to the point where they don't clash ).
yet the default version of Orca coming with Ubuntu 9.04 is pritty good.
I am following the mailing lists for both Ubuntu developres and also this one. I am pritty sure that the problems we have faced with orca are indeed sorted out with 10.04 LTS.
And Perhaps I will stay with 10.04 for at least 1 year.
I train masses of people including blind users. And most often than not they are pritty satisfied with what Ubuntu offers and can stay like that for a year. And with reference to Orca, i have always been concerned about a talking installer for a given OS. Ubuntu offered an installer which worked with Orca and to many people I train, it became a big ice breaker. Talk about the easy to use package management such as add-remove, again orca works well with it. And people want out-of-the-box things which Ubuntu offers. Thats infact the reason Why, I hate Ubuntu's policies in 9.10 and at that point you are correct.

But if a certain stable version offers me the comfort and easy to use desktop like Ubuntu 8.04 or 9.04 then naturally it compeets closely with a certain proprietory OS.

Again, I am talking from mass user base. And masses are not as good as you and me who know the "do it yourself " way of building an Operating system.

Now coming to GRML, I personally say as a LiveCD its good, but I don't know if I could recommend it as a system to be installed to HD (a shame as it has some nice scripts to help set up the system). I would say possibly look at going plain debian if you are thinking this way. I haven't tryed GRML but may be it is another "do it your self ", but very stable OS Distro.

eventually, People come almost from a background where things happen so easily. While I love the do it your self kind of distros, I most stay, not many are like me. And talking about blind people, having the correct version of Orca going with the matching gnome version is extremly important. My only advice will be to stick with what ever is serving your need and not upgrade unnecessarily just because there is an upgrade. I find Ubuntu in its 9.04 version excelent and I did not care to even look at 9.10 thus did not fall into the situation where I land myself in trouble.

Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.