Re: [orca-list] GRML VS Ubuntu 10.04

Hello,
I don't know fully about ubuntu as I looked at it a long time ago and decided it wasn't for me. Some of the things which disturb me about it is: Why do they use unstable releases of gnome in their releases? Certain directions they have gone (eg. pulseaudio) and the difficulties you may have when you want to go against their decisions.

Now coming to GRML, I personally say as a LiveCD its good, but I don't know if I could recommend it as a system to be installed to HD (a shame as it has some nice scripts to help set up the system). I would say possibly look at going plain debian if you are thinking this way.

Another alternative I am considering more is ArchLinux. This uses its own packaging system so is different to most other distributions. Its the difference which had been my concern (anything not in its repository how might it be for installing, do you need to resort to from source with no distro specific instructions) but this doesn't seem to be too much of a problem, if its not in the repository look in AUR (link on www.archlinux.org) and if not there then you can create a build script yourself (I have been lead to believe this is fairly easy) and add it to AUR. I know from one of your previous emails you are interested in oracle database, in AUR there are build scripts for both oracle 10 XE and oracle 11g (can't say what state these are actually in, some comments on the oracle 11g page in AUR indicates the rolling release nature of arch doesn't help with installing oracle).

I notice you also saying about using GRML64, I assume then you are using a 64bit computer, now the talking installer for arch (the one listed on the arch wiki) says its only for 32bit. Well there may be a solution (I am saying may as I haven't got a 64bit computer to try this), it is possible to install from another LiveCD, GRML64 probably will be fine here (I intend to do a audio walkthrough on this, my information was based on a page on the arch wiki, but be aware that it talks about using a static build of pacman but since then they have altered the format of some packages which won't work with the static build of pacman, I will cover this in detail in the audio).

As a note, I am very much in favour of building up a system rather than starting from a large set up and removing/configuring it to what you need, ArchLinux and debian can fall in this category, ubuntu doesn't really.

Michael Whapples