From: orca-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On
Behalf Of Michael Whapples
Sent: 13. mars 2010 13:50
To: Richard
Cc: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] GRML VS Ubuntu 10.04

Hello,
I don't know fully about ubuntu as I looked at it a long time ago and
decided it wasn't for me. Some of the things which disturb me about it
is: Why do they use unstable releases of gnome in their releases?
Certain directions they have gone (eg. pulseaudio) and the difficulties
you may have when you want to go against their decisions.

Now coming to GRML, I personally say as a LiveCD its good, but I don't
know if I could recommend it as a system to be installed to HD (a shame
as it has some nice scripts to help set up the system). I would say
possibly look at going plain debian if you are thinking this way.

Another alternative I am considering more is ArchLinux. This uses its
own packaging system so is different to most other distributions. Its
the difference which had been my concern (anything not in its repository
how might it be for installing, do you need to resort to from source
with no distro specific instructions) but this doesn't seem to be too
much of a problem, if its not in the repository look in AUR (link on
www.archlinux.org) and if not there then you can create a build script
yourself (I have been lead to believe this is fairly easy) and add it to
AUR. I know from one of your previous emails you are interested in
oracle database, in AUR there are build scripts for both oracle 10 XE
and oracle 11g (can't say what state these are actually in, some
comments on the oracle 11g page in AUR indicates the rolling release
nature of arch doesn't help with installing oracle).

I notice you also saying about using GRML64, I assume then you are using
a 64bit computer, now the talking installer for arch (the one listed on
the arch wiki) says its only for 32bit. Well there may be a solution (I
am saying may as I haven't got a 64bit computer to try this), it is
possible to install from another LiveCD, GRML64 probably will be fine
here (I intend to do a audio walkthrough on this, my information was
based on a page on the arch wiki, but be aware that it talks about using
a static build of pacman but since then they have altered the format of
some packages which won't work with the static build of pacman, I will
cover this in detail in the audio).

As a note, I am very much in favour of building up a system rather than
starting from a large set up and removing/configuring it to what you
need, ArchLinux and debian can fall in this category, ubuntu doesn't really.

Michael Whapples