Re: [orca-list] Orca: Support for Multilingual text

Hi,
On Di, Jul 27, 2010 at 05:27:00 +0700, Michael Pozhidaev wrote:
Hello, Halim Sahin!

after that is implemented, it would be enough to add a simple language
switching key-command to orca.

Since there are other applications used as screen readers (emacspeak,
yasr, etc)  explicit language change commands sending by orca makes other
application work incorrectly. It seems to me language changing code must
be completely outside of screen reader, especially in case of automatic
detection. And it is very convenient to change language configuration in
one single place, not in the every used screen reader.

Well, this will end in analyzing every peace of text to identify it's
language.
If you know howto do this for _all_ languages,
the speech-dispatcher/opentts folks would add it to their projects.
I am not sure how do you want to modify the screenreaders own language
if the tts system detects an other lang as the primary selected one and
switches it itself.
EG: System Lang is english, tts system detects, that processed text is
German, so it would start reading it with german voice. This will end in
reading wrong things when the screenreader outputs some special things
like replaces char, keycommands etc.
The result would be text in german, symbols from the sr in english read
with german voice, because the screenreader doesn't know in your
approach something of the language change.

You are right this shouldn't be done in screenreaders.
In my opinion automatic detection should be done by the user :-).
The screenreader should offer a clean way for switching it's own
language output and the synthesizers llang.
Just my two cents.
BR.
Halim