Re: [orca-list] Orca becomes unresponsive periodically on Linux Mint 9

HI,

what about kill -HUP speech-dispatcher? this will reload modules but
not restart it.  I'm suspicious of mint-update at this point, I'd try
killing it and seeing if your problem goes away.  If you try this make
sure it doesn't get restarted immediately.  THe simplest way to do
this is probably killall -9 mint-update I think its called then ps -e
| grep mint-update if it shows up then you'll have to poke mint into
stopping it, or just remove it with apt.
I see that you'r running at 200% of what 1 cpu can do, That seems
like a lot for thunderbird pidgin, and not much else.  While its
generally suprising that at-spi is using that much memory its not
terribly suprising that different processes are using more memory and
or processor time.

Trev

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 04:29:19PM -0400, Kyle wrote:
Hi,

I'm using speech-dispatcher with eSpeak. When I restart Orca, I am
also killing and restarting speech-dispatcher. For some time, this
has no effect at all. I get a very brief moment right after Orca and
speech-dispatcher restart where it's as responsive as normal, but
only for about 1 second. Then it hangs again. Note that if I leave
it alone, everything does eventually come back, but restarting Orca
and speech-dispatcher multiple times speeds up the process. Also, if
I only restart Orca and leave speech-dispatcher alone, I get the
same result as I get when restarting both. I haven't tried
restarting speech-dispatcher and leaving Orca alone, but that would
undoubtedly force me to restart Orca anyway.

It's possible that you see no speech synthesizer in the list of
processes because speech-dispatcher isn't currently sending any
output to eSpeak while orca isn't speaking. Not sure if this is the
case, however.

~Kyle