Re: [orca-list] Orca & Zoomtext

Bryen,

[Note: this is getting off-topic for orca-list; we should either continue this directly one-on-one, or perhaps move to the gnu-accessibility list]

And I'm not about to get into some big argument about whether we should break away from that AT-SPI dependency. No sense for me to really do that. But there is a bit of wishful thinking on my part that if I could just simply showcase the products we use in open source a11y without telling potential new users "You have to also switch operating systems to do this", we could move closer to getting our products accepted more in mainstream.

When the AT in question isn't closely bound to AT-SPI, then you can do this. Dasher is a fine example of cross-platform AT (that just happens to do a bit more when it is running on a system with AT-SPI). OpenGazer (from the same folks) may become another.

But when the AT is about providing access to apps (vs. being simply a keyboard input alternative), then you will be tied to AT-SPI and thereby tied to GNOME.

I recently met an Accessibility software teacher a few weeks ago who explored on her own and discovered open source opportunities, such as Vinux and Orca. It was pleasing to hear those names come up in a venue where open source isn't a topic. But as much as she liked what she saw and wanted to incorporate it into her classes, she was told adamantly by her superiors not to deviate from Windows-based software. When pressing why, she got no real answer other than "We're not moving away from Windows."

So, how to encourage adoption of our great open source a11y products without pushing for radical change? Thus is the challenge we face. :-)

Well, here's the question. Does it have to be "our" open source a11y apps? NVDA is a fine open source Windows screen reader. Why not encourage those who for whatever reason have to remain on Windows to use that?

Regards,

Peter
--
Oracle
Peter Korn | Accessibility Principal

Green Oracle Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help protect the environment