Re: [orca-list] Developing Game with Text to Speech

On 23 January 2010 13:07, Halim Sahin <halim sahin t-online de> wrote:
Hello,
have you tested your application with orca?
The goal should be to make your app working with orca without aditional
speech output.
If your app tries to speak through speechd it has to use an other
priority because orca would interupt the speech.
You can test the accessibility of your app with accerciser or with orca.

In my opinion selfvoicing apps are not ideal on the desktop.
Br.
Halim

I will test it with accerciser, thank you for the pointer. The point
about this game is that instead of recording voice in and shipping
loads of ogg files and playing them with Gstreamer, I'd rather
synthesise voice in player's native language. And I do agree
selfvoicing apps are not ideal but in the context of a game it would
be more accesible to tell the player what has happened in stead of
showing loads of text messages.

In short is there an API to access Orca's TTS component not for the
user controlled screen-reading but for general voice synthesis? which
can be used when user is not running app with assistive technologies
enabled.

--
With best regards

Dmitrijs Ledkovs (for short Dima),