Re: [orca-list] Using Linux for everyday computing tasks and employment

John G. Heim <jheim math wisc edu> wrote:

Really, what I think you're asking is if orca is good enough so that
a blind person can use linux every day in their job. I don't know
about that. I only know that I haven't manage it yet. The hold up
for me is primarily mail. I haven't been able to become efficient
enough in evolution to swtich to linux/orca full time.

Have you tried Mutt or Alpine?

I have been using Linux since 1998 as my main operating system for all
purposes. For a while, I kept a DOS machine to run my braille display, which
was used as a terminal just to operate the display, but as soon as support for
my braille display was integrated into BRLTTY, I no longer needed any other
operating system.

So yes, I can prove from personal experience that Linux can be used every day
for purposes of work, study, recreation, etc., and this has been true for a
long time. What Orca adds is the ability to use X applications accessibly,
which is an important complement to what we already have at the console level.