Re: [orca-list] Using Linux for everyday computing tasks and employment

Hi,

response in line.

Hi
There's a difference between characterizing Linux as a serious operating syst
em versus a seriously accessible platform. Linux itself is probably one of th
e most robust and stable operating systems you are likely to find today.

agreed.

However, and I know this is going to be bate for a flame war but I have to sa
y it, accessibility of the GUI leaves a lot to be desired. To be fair, most o
f this does not seem to be issues with Orca but rather issues further down in
 the stack and, to add to the complication, much of these problems are introd
uced by distribution maintainers. The gksu/gksudo problems are a glaring exam
ple of something that must be fixed. This has been an issue for years and yes
, the core issue has been dealt with in GNOME. But the problem is gksudo, and
 many distributions use it still and nothing is being done about either fixin
g it or replacing it. This is an issue that doesn't affect some distributions
, such as OpenSUSE or Archlinux if configured properly, but it's common enoug
h to be a problem. Again, it's not the fault of the Orca team or the GNOME te
am but it is a problem with the experience nonetheless and reflects badly upo
n the accessibility of the desktop in general.

Maybe I'm not the normal user, but ask me if I care.  I think the best way to administer is at a shell, and
any  screen reader works perfectly well with your choice of sudo or su. :-)

Another issue, and
 this one *is* the fault of the GNOME team, was the move to Webkit for render
ing HTML. I understand why this was done and, in fact, I agree that it had to
 be done. However, this has left accessibility to these HTML-based applicatio
ns, such as yelp, out in the dust. I would've thought that, if accessibility
were a real concern, this wouldn't have happened until there was at least som
e accessibility integrated into Webkit. Firefox does no good if the applicati
on, Ubuntu software center being another example, uses HTML rendering and thu
s Webkit now. There are a lot more areas this affects than it would seem at f
irst glance.

again maybe I'm not average, but 90% of what I  use gnome for for is FF so while this would be nice ....

I'm not trying to flame, but I have to face facts. Apple, a new player in the
 accessibility game who came into it long after GNOME's accessibility effort
was started, had a more solid experience in their first release of VoiceOver
than Orca does now. It's the little things that matter, not the whiz-bang scr
een reader functions but the details of the experience. NVDA for Windows has
surpassed Orca as well.

NVDA is nice, but it means suffering with windows.
The bigest problem I see with linux accessibility  is seg faults in espeak_synth drive are sd_espeak in
speech dispatcher.  (I've started working on the speech dispatcher problem and will hopefully  have a
rewritten sd_espaek soon)

For the Orca devs and gnome accessibility devs, I have a suggestion for you.
I hope you'll take this as constructive. I understand many of your primary de
v machines are running Opensolaris, who's version of GNOME actually has much
of these problems eliminated. I think it would be good, for everyone involved
 with GNOME accessibility, to use some of the more popular Linux variants and
 get a feel for some of the problems here. Essentially, get the point of view
 from a less-controlled environment, an environment that more people are goin
g to end up using than Opensolaris at this point. I wish it were the other wa
y around, with Opensolaris being the platform of choice for most of us, but t
hat's not the case and some of the non-SUN versions of GNOME can seriously de
tract from the accessibility experience.

It would also be good if you tried to fix some of the problems in your distro of choice.

Ok, I'm rambling now and will stop. *Shrugs* let the sparks fly, I guess, I k
now I'm about to get burned alive as a heretic or something. :)

Trev