Re: [orca-list] Using Linux for everyday computing tasks and employment

Hi
There's a difference between characterizing Linux as a serious operating system versus a seriously accessible
platform. Linux itself is probably one of the most robust and stable operating systems you are likely to find
today.
However, and I know this is going to be bate for a flame war but I have to say it, accessibility of the GUI
leaves a lot to be desired. To be fair, most of this does not seem to be issues with Orca but rather issues
further down in the stack and, to add to the complication, much of these problems are introduced by
distribution maintainers. The gksu/gksudo problems are a glaring example of something that must be fixed.
This has been an issue for years and yes, the core issue has been dealt with in GNOME. But the problem is
gksudo, and many distributions use it still and nothing is being done about either fixing it or replacing it.
This is an issue that doesn't affect some distributions, such as OpenSUSE or Archlinux if configured
properly, but it's common enough to be a problem. Again, it's not the fault of the Orca team or the GNOME
team but it is a problem with the experience nonetheless and reflects badly upon the accessibility of the
desktop in general. Another issue, and this one *is* the fault of the GNOME team, was the move to Webkit for
rendering HTML. I understand why this was done and, in fact, I agree that it had to be done. However, this
has left accessibility to these HTML-based applications, such as yelp, out in the dust. I would've thought
that, if accessibility were a real concern, this wouldn't have happened until there was at least some
accessibility integrated into Webkit. Firefox does no good if the application, Ubuntu software center being
another example, uses HTML rendering and thus Webkit now. There are a lot more areas this affects than it
would seem at first glance.
I'm not trying to flame, but I have to face facts. Apple, a new player in the accessibility game who came
into it long after GNOME's accessibility effort was started, had a more solid experience in their first
release of VoiceOver than Orca does now. It's the little things that matter, not the whiz-bang screen reader
functions but the details of the experience. NVDA for Windows has surpassed Orca as well.
For the Orca devs and gnome accessibility devs, I have a suggestion for you. I hope you'll take this as
constructive. I understand many of your primary dev machines are running Opensolaris, who's version of GNOME
actually has much of these problems eliminated. I think it would be good, for everyone involved with GNOME
accessibility, to use some of the more popular Linux variants and get a feel for some of the problems here.
Essentially, get the point of view from a less-controlled environment, an environment that more people are
going to end up using than Opensolaris at this point. I wish it were the other way around, with Opensolaris
being the platform of choice for most of us, but that's not the case and some of the non-SUN versions of
GNOME can seriously detract from the accessibility experience.
Ok, I'm rambling now and will stop. *Shrugs* let the sparks fly, I guess, I know I'm about to get burned
alive as a heretic or something. :)