Re: [orca-list] Building Time and Orca Doc Squad

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 04:03:15PM +0100, Alejandro Leiva wrote:
Yes, it's an option. We can add a set of flags for many things in
configure to save some time.

But now, the fastest way to go for a developer is to use 'make
install' after editing files, because normally you don't need to
call again 'make' alone if you're editing regular files.

So, for the record, if you're developing use 'make install' to test
your changes fastly. (Handle with care)

I'll probably stick to the 'make; make install' path for now as
someone reported recently a problem with skipping the stand-alone
'make' step.  Anyway, I hadn't realized the documentation process to
being the cause of the increased build times.  I thought it might have
had more to do with the new configuration stuff.  Anyway, it was
merely an observation that I can live with.  Another idea that can
speed up some larger compiles like this is to add something like -j2
or -j3 to cause multiple parallel processes.  Dunno if these style
builds can use tat or not but I've seen it used with other large
volume batch processes.  But that would only benefit those with
multi-processing capability, I think.