Re: [orca-list] setting up alpine

Believe me. I've looked at all the settings. There is absolutely no way to set your pop3 or imap login within Alpine. Yes, you most certainly can set your smtp, but not your incoming. That is where fetchmail or postfix comes in, as it then delivers the mail to your local mailbox in your home directory.

Chris.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Trevor Saunders" <trev saunders gmail com>
To: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2010 5:52 AM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] setting up alpine

Hi,

On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 03:59:59AM -0400, Chris Gilland wrote:
For one, Alpine is going to work better with Speakup than with Orca, however
that isn't to say that you can't get some functionality with Orca.

yes, sadly it seems to be the caase that orca doesn't perform very
well in terminals.  I think a lot of it could be improved with fixes
in the terminal emulators, but I sort of wonder if the difference in
behavior desired between a terminal and gui screen reader isn't too
big for one appp.

You need to do a man page look up for fetchmail.

There is a file in your home directory that needs to be created called
.fetchmailrc.

You're also going to need something like postfix or sendmail. I personally
prefer postfix as it is in my book, way easier to configure.

I think most of the people here who use terminal mail programs use
mutt I know I've seen alpine as Mike G's user agent, and I'm not sure
who else, so I'll let them anser this more.  While you can setup alpine to
use fetchmail and a smtp server like postfix sendmail exim etc, there
is no reason to do it this way, and a couple good reasons not to.  The
reasons not to are that fetchmail's interaction style doesn't allow
you to make use of imap in much of a useful way, also its much more
complicated.  Its been a long time since I looked at pine /alpine, but
I'm pretty sure if you go far enough into the settings there are
setting for imap /pop server smtp server password etc, I can't tell
you exactly how to do this though its been far too long.  I'm pretty sure
google can tell you how to do this though.

HTH

Trev

Thanks.

Chris.