Re: [orca-list] revisiting the issue of unbound keybindings

Hello,
I think Nolan makes some good points. There are a range of different users, all using different combinations of the various presentations, so why should one group be favoured over another. Although I don't use magnification, I can see how those who use magnification are being left out a bit (as well as a lack of default key bindings being bound, they also don't get asked if they want magnification in the initial set up questions).

Now the solution as I see it would be to have key profiles/groups which can be enabled and disabled (possibly as various presentations are turned on and off). Either these would be enabled depending on the choices of presentations in the initial set up questions or there would be extra questions added for this.

Some of the groups would be: Base (very basic key strokes, open preferences, enable/disable different presentations, etc), speech (keys specific to speech, eg. increase/decrease rate, pitch, voice, change echo mode, etc), Braille (Braille specific keys), magnification (magnification specific keys, increase/decrease magnification, enable/disable cross hairs, etc), enhanced structural navigation (I have called it enhanced, I don't really know where the boundary should lie, should all structural navigation keys be in this, is heading core enough to have in another, etc), additional features (those which people should be present but questionably lie outside orca's scope, eg. battery status, time, etc). Other groups/profiles may exist.

Now the question comes up, what happens if a user customises keybindings and then enables another profile which makes use of the key? I would say a warning dialog box should be shown to indicate the clash and offer the user the chance to redefine either keybinding, maintain existing keybinding (ignoring the one in the profile being enabled) or overwrite the current keymapping. I would say the default option in such a dialog should be maintain the existing mapping ignoring the new one.

OK, that's my thoughts on this, what do others think of this idea?

Michael Whapples