Re: [orca-list] In Ubuntu 10.04, when Orca is running, impossible to make USB startup disk with usb-creator-gtk application

Hi,

while I can't speak to the ff3.6 issue, I have a couple thoughts for the bootable usb issue.
1. you should be able to convert a iso for any distro to a usb image by doing the following
First make a single fat partition on the drive.  Next mount the iso, and copy the contents into the fat
filesystem on the usb drive.  Third move the file isolinux/isolinux.cfg to /syslinux.cfg.  Forth make any
changes you wish to syslinux.cfg, adding speakup.synth=synth, or posibly whatever one passes for ubuntu.
Finally run syslinux on the drive to make it bootable.  That set of instructions probably isn't perffect, but
it is roughly how one makes a bootable usb drive.
2. if you can get a usb image, I believe some distros provide them, you can just dd it onto the drive.
3. while doing an apt-cache search a while back on debian I noticed a makebootfat or some such thing that
claims to be a command line utility to make bootable usb drives.
4. My final suggestion would be that because of the way the gentoo initrd, but probably others too works, you
can set up a usb drive to use it by doing something like the following.  First make 2 partitions on the drive
(one must be atleast the size of the iso you want to use, and the other should have a fat fs on it.  Next, dd
the iso onto the partition that doesn't have the fat fs.  Third, mount the iso and copy the kernel and initrd
onto the fat partition.  Forth make a grub directory on the fat partition, and write a grub.conf or menu.lst
depending on your version of grub.  Sixth, run grub on the drive.  This should also result in a bootable usb
drive.
 This second way works atleast for gentoo's installer, because at boot the initrd comes up, and iterates over
the avalable partitions mounting the first it finds with filesystem iso9660 and a file /livecd.  When it
finds such a partition it assumes its the livecd, and goes from there (mounts it as / and chroots).

HTH
Trev