Re: [orca-list] alternative synths

Hi, Richard.  I intend to create a 64-bit ISO for Vinux a few days
after the 32-bit ISO ships.  The 32-bit ISO will be the "official"
ISO.  I use 64-bit myself for work, so currently I install Lucid, and
then run the buildvinux scripts.  Some users prefer this path in any
case, since the official Ubuntu ISOs seem to work better with wubi and
dual-booting with Windows.  We hope to correct these issues in Vinux
sometime after the 3.0 release.

The speed issues with Voxin have been worked out.  Unfortunately,
there's a new bug that was recently introduced in 64-bit voxin
support, which causes the voice to sound scratchy, and the driver now
crashes often.  Voxin is my preferred voice, so while I can't promise
I'll be able to fix this, you can bet I'll be putting in quite a few
hours tracking this down.  In the meantime, I use espeak, which is
quite responsive.  I have not been following the Java ATK wrappers, so
I can't answer your last question.  However, I would like to know.  If
you find the answer, please forward it to me.

Thanks,
Bill