Re: [orca-list] got loss of speech after exiting firefox

Steve Holmes <steve holmes88 gmail com> wrote:
What I do here to make things as easy as possible, I make sure I have
a console available running a speakup kernel and login as root.  Then
if I lose speech in gnome, I just do ctrl-alt-f2 to open my second
terminal (used for root) and type 'orca -q' with speech from speakup.
I then do alt-f1 (for me that gets me back into gnome because I have
twelve VC's available).  Then I can do alt-f2 within gnome without
speech and type 'orca' in the run dialog.  That will usually bring
orca back up.  Unfortunately many times lately when starting Orca this
way, I will hear "Welcome to orca." and nothing else  when this
happens, I'm stuck for good and have to restart gnome completely.

Is this with a development version of Orca? Have you submitted a bug report?

These hangs/crashes really need to be fixed, so the more information you can
collect the easier it will be for our hard-working, dedicated, highly capable
and experienced Orca developers to track down the causes.

I haven't experienced this myself recently, but then I don't use Orca a lot -
mostly for accessing Web pages that require Javascript and modern Web APIs.