Re: [orca-list] got loss of speech after exiting firefox

What I do here to make things as easy as possible, I make sure I have
a console available running a speakup kernel and login as root.  Then
if I lose speech in gnome, I just do ctrl-alt-f2 to open my second
terminal (used for root) and type 'orca -q' with speech from speakup.
I then do alt-f1 (for me that gets me back into gnome because I have
twelve VC's available).  Then I can do alt-f2 within gnome without
speech and type 'orca' in the run dialog.  That will usually bring
orca back up.  Unfortunately many times lately when starting Orca this
way, I will hear "Welcome to orca." and nothing else  when this
happens, I'm stuck for good and have to restart gnome completely.  I
do that by going back to my trusty reliable speakup console as root
and restart gdm.  With my arch box, the best way to restart gdm is to
do '/etc/rc.d/gdm restart'.