Re: [orca-list] Speech dispatcher vs. gnome speech

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 03:55:46AM EST, Zachary Kline wrote:
Hi All,
As an ArchLinux user, I'm currently using Gnome 2.28 with gnome speech
and espeak.  I'd just like to say, for the record, that I find this
solution quite sufficient for my needs.  Speech-dispatcher has always
seemed to be an extra layer of complexity for me, one which is unneeded.
There may be hidden advantages to it which I'm unaware of.  I'd be
curious to hear someone else's take on this.

Yes, speech-dispatcher can get quite complex, when you have to deal with the various configuration options it
offers, particularly per synthesizer. This is why we need to have things set up to be as well configured for
as many use cases as possible.

Added to that, I'd say that some of the issues users are seeing are likely a combination of how the orca
speech-dispatcher code is written, and speech-dispatcher itself. I have not delved into the orca
speech-dispatcher code, however if you find an issue that is clearly speech-dispatcher related, please let me
know, and I'll do what I can to fix it, at least in the latest development code. If you have a fix, even
better, please send it to me.

Luke