Re: [orca-list] Speech dispatcher vs. gnome speech

On 10 Nov, Steve Holmes <steve holmes88 gmail com> wrote:

I just wish some of the character pronunciation was a little
better.  Some special characters like "_" and ";" wouldn't echo (sort
of) but that may be an espeak issue.

The echo, when speaking names of punctuation symbols, was originally
included to provide a distinction between speaking the name of a
character and saying that word when it appears as a word in the text.
But it seems unpopular.

I have removed it in the current development versions of eSpeak, which
are available at:
http://espeak.sf.net/test/latest.html

I have also changed the intonation when speaking names of punctuation
symbols.