Re: [orca-list] Topicality...again.

On 03/22/2009 03:56 PM, Willie Walker wrote:

Having said all that, if we end up with someone who is going to continue posting off topic things to the list after they've been reminded of proper social behavior, I will start placing individuals on the list of folks who need to have their messages moderated.

That's what I feel we might be dealing with here.

I've seen messages on-list and have received a few off-list basically apologizing for being off-topic. Please reread my point about not wanting to be the topic fascist.

I dont mind seeing URLs to Vinux posted here. If anything, that helps people find where they need to be asking questions. I also understand the occasional newbie question asked here, and don't think it's out of place to give an answer, as long as the person is advised to seek out appropriate channels. We've all done it, and quite frankly, I occasionally still do.

But if it becomes a regular habit, it really needs to stop. The table scraps analogy is a good one, and "I know this is off-topic, so please respond off-list" is like the dog becoming sneakier about getting the scraps.

I'm speaking as someone who has left a few blindness-related communities out of frustration already, because generic communities turned into "ZOMG how do I install my anti-virus and my computer is doing something strange!!!11!!" Frustrations were voiced, the moderators stepped in, people got angry that they couldn't discuss anything and everything because they were blind and as such the topic was relevant...the mods got tired of the fight, gave in and I left. I hope that doesn't happen here.