Re: [orca-list] Topicality...again.

Hi All:

From a positive point of view, I believe what we're seeing is an uptick in the number of Orca users because Orca and GNOME accessibility are "for real" and more and more users are having very positive success with it. This is good!

With that comes a downside where we end up getting people with a lack of netiquette and with no clue how to use things like web search tools. They lack self-sufficiency and thus will ask any question anywhere someone might provide an answer, even if the question is off topic.

If this 'uptick' conjecture is accurate, then no matter how many times we discuss what's on or off topic, we're bound to get new users who will come in to the list and pepper it with tons of questions. These kinds of users are not going to read the documentation or any suggestions for how to behave properly. They are going to just blast away with their questions.

As someone who gets a lot of e-mail, I agree it is annoying as hell.

Note also that their social ignorance in these areas is something I believe we've all had at some point in our lives - I know for sure that I've been 'that guy' at one point or another. As open source community members, I think it is our responsibility to guide them. You never know - users who are ignorant now might end up becoming helpful contributors in the future, and their desire to do so might hinge upon how they are treated here.

So, as regular Orca list members, let's try to remember amongst ourselves what is on/off topic. If someone posts a message that is off topic, let's try to take the time to point them to the mailing list or URL they should go to to ask their question. In addition, if the question is way off topic, we should avoid answering it with anything except a suggestion to take it elsewhere. Answering or even acknowledging questions way off topic is like feeding your dog scraps from the dinner table - do it just once and the pooch will come back for more forever.

Having said all that, if we end up with someone who is going to continue posting off topic things to the list after they've been reminded of proper social behavior, I will start placing individuals on the list of folks who need to have their messages moderated.

Will

PS - so, here's some examples, which we probably should try to get into the Orca FAQ (can someone help me update it, please?), which is also something we can feel free to point people to:

Q: Does Vinux work on my netbook?