[orca-list] Topicality...again.

My gods. It's like we beat this dead horse every few weeks these days.

I don't care about Vinux. If I did, I'd join the Vinux list.

I don't care about VMs and their associated challenges. If I did, I'd join that list.

I DO care about Orca,accessibility issues involving it and ways to accomplish tasks with it more easily.

It does not become OK to start posting off-topic messages here a few weeks after people have asked it to stop.

It does not become OK to post off-topic just because a message is noted as such.

It does not become OK to ask any generic question and make it on topic because you're running Orca. That makes about as much sense as posting X or GNOME questions to a BASH list because I'm using it as my shell. "How do I do X accessibly with Orca?" is a different matter, but not everything that one is uncertain about is accessibility or blindness-related.

It is not OK to expect those of us frustrated by off-topic messages to just delete them and move on. Universalize that principle and community loses meaning, with everyone posting whatever they want anywhere.

It is not OK to post off-topic and invite responses off-list. If the initial post is OT, and if there is a request for keeping the list on topic, saying "this is off-topic, so please respond off-list" demonstrates to me that the principle of the list is being knowingly disrespected.

Now, I'm not trying to be the topic fascist here. I think that strictly sticking with a topic and allowing no divergence is as bad as diverging all the time. I don't believe people should quake in fear or concernn that any given post is on or off-topic for a list.

But, come on. This is not the vinux list, and there IS one. I looked this morning. If you're interested in vinux vm or whatever, take your questions there. If you're interested in knowing about it, subscribe. But we've had at least half a dozen messages about it in the last day alone. Sure, that's not many, but if we don't react, we tell any new users "this is a generic linux community, ask all your questions here, don't seek out your distribution's channels that are specifically set up for helping you and create another blind community walled garden." Seriously, at least from the Ubuntu perspective, I read planet.ubuntu.com and they do a ton of work helping forum newbies and trying to create a nurturing and supportive environment.

This is not the place for that.. Please respect the efforts of the distributions by taking generic requests there, and please respect the requests that have been made here several times and let us continue discussing issues that are related to Orca.

Thanks. Hopefully I'm not making this post again in another month or two because it has been decided that it's been a month, therefore it's OK to start going off-topic again.