Re: [orca-list] Problems with GNOME and admin applications

Orca is indeed a screen reader for GNOME. We GNOME folks try to ensure that the out-of-the-box experience for GNOME is compelling for accessibility.

GNOME is large, however, and there can be integration problems that are not caught soon enough. There were some unfortunate changes that snuck into the GNOME 2.24 release very late in the cycle that broke a11y for example. I suspect I was less pleased about this than most folks were. I've also been working hard to try to make these things easier to catch, and the creation of the GNOME testing project is evidence of that.

In addition, once the GNOME source code leaves the hands of GNOME, it goes to the hands of the operating system distributions. The process of developing a distribution often includes what we call "downstream changes", which is where the operating system distribution makes changes to the code and/or integrating things in a special way. These are out of our control. If distributions do not test accessibility integration with the same diligence as we do with OpenSolaris, they may inadvertently break accessibility. Even with constant testing, things can break in development releases. With OpenSolaris, however, we view accessibility breakage as a show stopper regression that needs to be fixed as soon as possible.

The Orca team is a small team, and we need to use our resources efficiently. Part of this efficiency involves making the choice to not serve as the accessibility integrator for every possible operating system distribution on the planet. In my opinion, proper accessibility integration is the responsibility of the operating system distribution. With my GNOME accessibility lead hat on, I'm happy to help distributions if they have questions and demonstrate they are acting responsibly. I'm not going to do their work for them, however, nor am I going to babysit, test, and debug every development release they spit out. That doesn't scale well. Instead, my top three priorities are: 1) GNOME accessibility works from the GNOME perspective, 2) non-GNOME things like Firefox and OpenOffice work with GNOME accessibility, and 3) OpenSolaris accessibility works. My employer, Sun Microsystems, sponsors OpenSolaris and GNOME accessibility and is the bulk of the reason open source accessibility solutions are available for free.

Finally, it is your choice whether or not you want to work with a distribution that is responsive to your needs and behaves responsibly. It is also your choice to work with development releases or stick to stable releases. Having said that, we greatly appreciate the patience demonstrated by people who understand that development releases are development releases. We also appreciate that they take the time to write constructive and informative bug reports when they discover issues. It's very helpful and allows us to catch things before they are officially released. With this, they become part of the solution, and that's how open source works.

I hope this clarifies things,

Will