Re: [orca-list] Vibuntu the most accessible Ubuntu Linux live cd

Slackware was the first commercial Linux and did provide on one of those CD's an html file tree called slackbook which had lots of documentation in it for the system. To this day unfortunately slackbook is not a recommended package for installation by the slackware install program. Short of both of those however, typing man man <cr> at that bash prompt and reading would have got you a little help. Also typing info info <cr> at that bash prompt would have got you more help. The problems with linux are the bsd learn utility isn't available in Linux package form for installation yet and the vms help command isn't yet available either. When I first learned vms and Unix it wasn't on a linux box and that BSD learn utility changed my diapers many a time. Anyone who gets learn into a linux package and gets it all to work then goes through just one of the computer assisted instructional tutorials will immediately realize why I wrote that last sentence. True slackware put a long email message in root's account but you had to know to enter the mail command while hopefully completely off line for security reasons while reading that message and that's something a completely new user wouldn't necessarily know about. A lug could have been helpful, but sighted people more frequently attend those meetings than blind people so that's another possible source of help denied. These days podcasts on Linux are available as well as several main menu programs on acbradio.org but these are more recent events than what was available in our past.