Re: [orca-list] Pronunciation dictionary is not working
- From: Willie Walker <William Walker Sun COM>
- To: vilmar informal com br
- Cc: orca-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: [orca-list] Pronunciation dictionary is not working
- Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 17:08:47 -0400
The pronunciation dictionary is for words, whereas what you're trying to
do is create pronunciation for non-alphabetic characters such as
punctuation characters. These characters are used for delineating
words, so they won't be passed to the pronunciation dictionary.
When you are arrowing around, Orca will use the sayCharacter function to
speak the character, and this will ultimately use the chnames.py
dictionary if you are using gnome-speech (speechdispatcher has a
different philosophy/means for speaking characters, so Orca relies upon
speechdispatcher to do the right thing).
If you want to change the spoken word for a character, and you are using
gnome-speech, you might try something like this:
Hope this helps,
Jose Vilmar Estacio de Souza wrote:
Yes, I try to test changing the pronunciation of the char " and it
didn't work very well.
When writing this message I could observe the following:
1) If I type the char ", it is echoed by orca without respect the
2) The same behavior if I review the message using the left and right
3) Pronunciation dictionary is respected if I review the message using
up and down keys.
On 08-03-2009 13:51, Hermann wrote:
I customized a few characters in the pronunciation tab of Orca, but they
were not spoken as defined.
Here's the part of the user-settings.py that contain the entries:
# User customized pronunciation dictionary settings
] [Thread Prev