Re: [orca-list] Orca, speech-dispatcher and eSpeak stability

On 06.03.2009 at 22:14:37 Lorenzo Taylor <daxlinux gmail com> wrote:

Hi,
I reported the bug with speech-dispatcher and eSpeak on the
speech-dispatcher list. It appears to be some kind of bug with alsa or
something, even though I am running pulseaudio here and am having the
same problem. I received a reply on that list that suggested I either
have speech-dispatcher output via OSS or use gnome-speech. I liked
either of these options less than I liked having to create a hotkey to
a small script that will restart speech-dispatcher and Orca, so the
latter is what I did. Hopefully this bug will be fixed very soon.

It last since one year, so I am not that optimistic.

get tired of losing speech, even though I can just press a key
combination to restart it. And gnome-speech isn't the best option for
me either, since its eSpeak driver is now bypassing pulseaudio ...

A third solution is to spend a few bugs, stimulate our economy and buy
either Voxin or Dectalk. I've bought Voxin, and now I'm able to use SD
via Alsa output.
Hermann