Re: [orca-list] Can applications communicate directly with orca?

Hello,
There used to be an orca server which applications could communicate with. I know very little of this other than the firevox plugin supported it in the past and I believe that this feature is disabled by default in orca now (if not actually removed).

The reason your attempt failed is that you imported the orca speech script from another python shell, so the two were unrelated and so couldn't communicate.

Here are some of my thoughts on the sort of thing you are doing:
1. If the application is not gnome specific (IE. could run on another desktop, may be doesn't even need an X session) then speech-dispatcher might be a better option as it will be relevant for more users. 2. If it is gnome specific then it may be best to make the application properly accessible to orca, either through orca scripting or GTK's accessibility API or even a combination of the two.

The only advantage that using orca's server (if still existing) would be that all orca speech settings will be maintained, however the second option for if it is a gnome-specific application sees to that.

Michael Whapples