Re: [orca-list] installing tts speech synthesizer

I haven't tried installing ttsynth, but I have used voxin http://voxin.oralux.net which is a packaged version of IBM viavoice. Voxin is near enough as simple as running a script and it asks a few questions which you answer and then you have an installation of viavoice and the packages to connect it to systems like gnome-speech which orca can use. Unlike windows the installer for voxin is command line based, but should be simple enough to use (the most difficult part for someone who doesn't know a huge amount about linux may be knowing which components to install, eg. gnome-speech connector, speech-dispatcher module, speakup connector, etc). For use with orca, potentially the gnome-speech support will be enough for you to have viavoice as the output for orca (I believe gnome-speech is what orca uses in ubuntu by default, and should you not be using the default then you probably know what you are using.

Sorry if you have already purchased ttsynth as this message won't help you (I wouldn't expect you to buy both ttsynth and voxin). If you have already purchased ttsynth, please say and hopefullly someone familiar with it will help you with installation (ifyou are using a new install of ubuntu it should be a matter of just following a set of instructions, even if you're not fully sure what is going on).