Re: [orca-list] JAWS or Orca?

Bill,

I have used JAWS for Windows ever since its inception in the early 90's.
Been in a corporate environment, this was essential for communications,
interacting with co-workers, etc.

However, as a research scientist and programmer, I did all of my development
work in Unix.  Of course, at that time, Unix did not have any of the
accessibility enhancements that many of the flavors of Linux now have (such
as Orca, brltty, etc.).  Thus, I used my Windows PC running a terminal
emulator to log into to my Unix box and did all of my C programming and
development within a terminal session.  This worked quite well.  I even put
together special scripts for JAWS (which are available on the web some
place, but I haven't used them in years) so that JAWS would work a bit
better for my programming needs in the terminal emulator and using editors
such as vi.

Recently, since I now see that Linux has integrated accessibility reasonably
well, I installed Ubuntu 9.04 and started using Orca and brltty.  I'm
impressed at how well Orca works, but, not surprisingly, it is not nearly as
robust and/or responsive as JAWS running on windows.  I believe you could
probably do all of your work in Linux directly since there seems to be
enough functionality there (and it's still improving thanks to the great
efforts of the Linux developers), but if my job depended on it, I would
probably still opt to use JAWS and Windows as a front end to Linux.  As I
said, JAWS is a lot more robust, flexible, and snappy than Orca, but at
least we have reasonable choices these days (which weren't available years
ago).

All that being said, Linux has come a long way in terms of accessibility
over the years and is at least a reasonable alternative these days.

--Pete