Re: [orca-list] Some Openoffice.org/Orca question

Hi Attila:

Sorry my long letter.

It's nice to have you report problems -- if we don't hear about them, then they may never get fixed. :-) One thing you can do to help us (and to keep the messages shorter), however, is to try to limit a message to a single topic with an informative subject line. So, for example, your message might have been broken into two separate messages:

Subject: OOo Styles and Formatting Dialog has focus problems
<<<discussion of the formatting dialog problem>>>

Subject: OOo keyboard traversal discrepancies in menus
<<<discussion of the menu traversal differences>>>

The way this will effect you is as follows: when I see a long message with a laundry list of topics, it often goes on my list of items that I put under the heading "Wait until you have a big block of time to look at this." I rarely get big blocks of time, so the things on that list can take a long time for me to process. Sometimes it can take weeks. :-(

I would like format the document with heading levels. When I select format main menu and style and formats menu item, first displayed the required dialog, but does'nt focused the window. Not problem, I pressed alt+f6 key and choosed for example the required heading level 2 style. When need again the required task, I try choose again the format main menu and style and formats menu item, but nothing happen. I see this menu item is a check menu item with Openoffice.org 3.0, the second choose the checked state was removed, so, need repeat this steps when need the required dialog again, but the displayed dialog again not focused. I don't known this dialog unfocused problem is Orca problem or not, but I remember I filled bugreport with similar problem with save dialog when the document is not saved and the user would like close Openoffice.org, and I think this bugfix is depends another components bug.

This seems to be a general issue with OpenOffice -- it's easily reproduced even if Orca is not running. Please file a bug at http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/submission_gateway.html and add 'williewalker' to the CC list?

My question: have any useful keystroke to display the format and styles dialog anytime, independent the style and formats menu item checked state?

Shift+F6 seems to help move focus to the dialog. There's also an F11 action that's shown on the menu item that seems to act as an accelerator/shortcut if the main window has focus. I'm noticing a couple issues, however:

1) The F11 action on the menu item is not exposed to us via the AT-SPI (sigh)

2) Focus seems to disappear somewhere in the Styles and Formatting dialog. That is, I can give it focus, but I cannot seem to arrow up and down the entries. The only way I can force focus to appear is if I move the mouse into the dialog -- I don't have to click, I just have to move it there. It's as though OOo chose to implement that "pointer gives focus" window manager behavior that I detest so mightily.

Both of these problem are independent of whether Orca is running or not.

Can you also please log bugs at qa.openoffice.org for these and add 'williewalker' to the CC list?

As an aside, you can go to Tools/Customize.../Keyboard to get a list of shortcut keys. F11 is included there.

When I open the menu bar with Alt or F10 key and press right arrow, the caret jump the edit menu and pulling down, Orca says the edit main menu and first menu item. When I press right arrow again, the caret moved the next main menu and jumps the first menu item. When I press Escape key, after this the right and left arrow keys work right. My question: this is a bug with Openoffice.org or Orca, or a feature with Openoffice.org? If this is a feature, how can I turn off this function? For example the accessibility page I not found any preference to toggle this function.

This is the keyboard navigation behavior the OpenOffice team has chosen to implement and is independent of whether Orca is running or not. It is indeed different from what other toolkits do on the GNOME platform. :-(

1. The main menu open key any application is F10, Alt key does'nt open the menu bar.

The result of focus going to the menu bar when you press/release Alt seems strange to me as well. Perhaps another OOo design choice. Maybe it's meant to behave like Windows or something. I don't know.

2. When I press left or right arrow keys, the caret moves only main menus, but does'nt pulling down the selected main menu. This method is right.

Heh - in GTK, the menus are actually pulled down, but focus remains in the menu bar rather than going to a menu item.

Thanks for your problem reporting (both here and with logging bugs),

Will