To: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Sunday, May 31, 2009 4:03 PM
Subject: [orca-list] gnome-accessibility food fight

 This happened for those of us using debian squeeze distribution May 29,
 2009.  Basicly, other parts of gnome got updated to a point where they're
 no longer compatible with gnome-accessibility and this had left orca
 inoperable and speechless for the last week or so.  It wasn't until the
 29th that I found out why while doing updates.  Most times when packages
 get updated these days it's for security reasons earlier in software life
 cycles when concentration on security wasn't so heavy updates brought new
 features with them.  This is especially true for what Microsoft releases
 perhaps less so for other operating systems.  Gnome-accessibility
 debian/squeeze flavor at least will be ready when it's ready and I'm quite
 willing to be patient.  Another reason for my willingness to be patient is
 I spent some time learning Linux command line interface and also installed
 stuff on systems that will run in command line interface mode without
 reference to or need for graphical user interfaces or their libraries. The
 moral of this story for anyone new to Linux or about to be new to Linux is
 to spend as much time learning command line interface as they do graphical
 user interface because sooner or later one of these gnomish food fights
 will happen and when that happens they will still have an ability to use
 their computer allbeit through command line interface.