[orca-list] Ubuntu 9.04 installation instructions via Orca

Hi All:

I grown exhausted from the beating up Ubuntu has taken over the past several weeks. Admittedly, Ubuntu has had unfortunate events happen with audio integration that cause speech to become corrupted. I think a lot of this has to do more with Pulse Audio integration issues than anything else.

Much of my frustration is that I have not had the luxury of time to spend looking at Ubuntu-specific problems. I work primarily on OpenSolaris because that's where my funding comes from -- many thanks to Sun Microsystems for its courage and commitment to fund and pioneer open source accessibility.

I hold a place in my heart for Ubuntu, however, because their early work with integrating accessibility into their live CD helped bring GNOME accessibility to more and more people. I believe part of Orca's success is due to Ubuntu's work in this space.

So, while watching some Orca regression tests run on my OpenSolaris machine today, I spent the time to download Ubuntu 9.04 and install it on a decrepit laptop. I installed it twice - once with the screen reader option and once without the screen reader option.

When I installed with the screen reader option, things went fairly smoothly and I ended up with an installation that spoke as expected. When I installed without the screen reader option, speech exhibited the problem everyone has been complaining about. I was able to remedy the situation easily by doing a "sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio" and then rebooting.

I've written some brief instructions for Ubuntu Jaunty up on the Orca WIKI. All said and done, Ubuntu 9.04 is not the accessibility disaster that people are making it out to be:

http://live.gnome.org/Orca/UbuntuJaunty

Please note that the above is a WIKI. The heart of a WIKI is the community, which includes all of you. If you have constructive and helpful things to add, please add them to the WIKI so other people can benefit. In addition, if you have feedback for Ubuntu, please let the Ubuntu folks know.

Will

PS - Reminder - I work for Sun Microsystems on OpenSolaris. Just because I wrote up these brief Ubuntu Jaunty notes today does not automatically make me your for-free-at-your-beck-and-call Ubuntu support whipping boy. ;-)

http://opensolaris.org/os/project/indiana/status/accessibility/AccessibleLiveCd/