Re: [orca-list] Orca, gnome-speech and pulseaudio

Hi
If portaudio has been compiled to utilize ALSA directly, rather than the OSS API as it did before, or if espeak has had this done, then the wrapper script will not work. Padsp wraps any OSS application, which espeak was, and causes it to work with Pulseaudio. This does not work if the application uses ALSA directly. If it uses the default card specified by ALSA rather than specifying a card, you may still be able to get it to work. Try this in a console, logged in as your user account:
asoundconf set-pulseaudio
Then log out and back into GNOME, or restart the GNOME speech driver at a very minimum. This sets ALSA's default card to go through Pulseaudio, as long as an application references the default card rather than a specific card, this should force it to go through Pulse. If this works, you can remove the wrapper script entirely, as it's not needed. Let me know if that works for you. I'm not having any speech- dispatcher issues, but I'm not on a dual-core 64-bit system either, I'm in a virtual machine on my Macbook which, while it is a dual-core 64-bit system in itself, I've not allocated all those resources to VMware.. I do remember those issues with smp in speech dispatcher, though I thought they were fixed. You could try the latest CVS of speech-dispatcher, perhaps that would help.