Re: [orca-list] Orca, gnome-speech and pulseaudio

Wow. I meant to send my reply to Luke's message to the list rather than privately to Luke. If you could, please forward it back to the list.

Jacob,
I tried creating the wrapper script you gave me, which I no longer had, as it looks to have been removed. I logged out of Gnome and back in, but gnome-speech is still bypassing pulseaudio for some reason. I could tell from the script that it should work, but it doesn't.

As for using speech-dispatcher, I tried that, and would in fact prefer using it, but I had to create a script to kill it, restart it and restart Orca, because for some reason, unless this has changed in Jaunty, speech-dispatcher seems to die at frequent and quite random times. I don't know if it's the dual-core bug I thought was fixed a long time ago reasserting itself or if it's something else entirely involving the ESpeak module, but I just found it to be unusable because of this. I didn't report the problem because I had suspected it was a known bug that was in the process of being fixed, but I seem to be one of very few if any people who still has this problem, since I have seen no list traffic regarding this problem, and I was able to use gnome-speech, so I did. Note that I am using a 64-bit dual-core processor, and I use the 64-bit Ubuntu, so this may put me in an unusual position to find bugs. I will try to do better at reporting bugs as I find them.

Thanks,
Lorenzo
--
 Great Goddess Isis,