Re: [orca-list] [ANNOUNCE] libao (new audio driver for speechd including working pulseaudio support).

OK, I have a bit more feedback. I'll post here since, though I doubt Orca is at fault here, this is the most user-visible client of Speech-Dispatcher and is more likely to benefit those using it.

I've noticed that, though I have key echo enabled, some letters fail to speak when pressed, and I have to send another before they are spoken, resulting in each spoken separately. This happens always with the same letters, and never with others. In other words, there are specific characters that always trigger this behavior. It may not be instantly noticeable, as the follow-up character causes both to be spoken as if each had arrived separately. Also, if the follow-up character is on the list of characters, both are processed. So, in other words, if you send one seemingly blacklisted character then you won't get speech. Send one blacklisted character and any other, including another blacklisted char, and both are spoken separately as if each was typed separately. Sorry to be confusing, but hopefully that will make sense with a few rereads. :) Here are what appear to be the blacklisted characters for me:

a b d e g i o

I've also just noticed that this behavior occurs when reviewing the line in question char-by-char, or when backspacing over text containing them.

I wondered if perhaps the audio data for these characters was shorter than 32 bytes and maybe there was an underrun or something, so I dropped the buffer length down to 16. Still works even with a buffer size this low, but that doesn't appear to be the issue. Not sure if it happened when set to 256, but I remember noticing an occasional, odd lag, which may very well have been this issue.