Re: [orca-list] Orca in TTY1 Console Problem $DISPLAY environment

As far as I know, Orca only works under Gnome, or more accurately any
environment which uses the at-spi interface -- it will not work at the
console, you can use gnome-terminal to sort of do what you want, but for
console access you should use speakup and you can use espeak with
speakup with a special speakup-espeak connector.

Hope that helps.

David Ring <n1ea arrl net> wrote:

Hello Steve,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using the fully updated Kosmic Koala Ubuntu 64 bits version.
Orca is Orca 2.26.1

I thought I had at one time gotten Orca to run in the console mode -
Alt Ctrl 1 - for tty1.

I might have been confused because orca setup runs in the console and
says the screen as it prints.

I just checked and hadn't noticed before that it doesn't say the keys
I press!  I hadn't noticed that before.

It just gives me an error about the $DISPLAY variable not being set.
I thought that Orca would work both in X and in console.

I find some things are easier to do in the console - at least I don't
have to discover the button that I have to click on - but sometimes
programs don't even work outside of X Windows - so I have to use X.

Is Orca not working in console a fault of my setup, or is Orca just
designed for X.

If so and if it were an easy to accomplish item, this user - and
probably others - if Orca simply doesn't work in console mode, could
espeak (or some possible other solution) be downloaded when Orca is
installed, and somehow be integrated into Orca so that when Orca
detects that the user is using a console terminal - say tty1, that
Orca would then call for the appropriate programs and send the Orca
configuration and modify it (asking for nirvana?) so that the other
program can just go to work!

However, I'm still ignorant about Orca working in tty1 - does it?
Does it in certain versions?  If so which.

Thanks for your answers and your time,

David Ring
Green Harbor, MA

=30=