[orca-list] Orca in TTY1 Console Problem $DISPLAY environment

I'm having a problem - perhaps two - running orca from  a virtual
console - Alt+Ctrl+1

This is the error message:

/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:72:
GtkWarning: could not open display
  warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
Enter choice: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/orca/orca.py", line 1086, in
_showPreferencesConsole
    module.showPreferencesUI(_commandLineSettings)
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/orca/orca_console_prefs.py",
line 440, in showPreferencesUI
    (not setupSpeech(prefsDict)):
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/orca/orca_console_prefs.py",
line 207, in setupSpeech
    choice = int(sayAndPrint(_("Enter choice: "), False, True))
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/orca/orca_console_prefs.py",
line 111, in sayAndPrint
    return raw_input(text)
EOFError

I believe the errors are $DISPLAY environment isn't set, and I have no
idea how to set it to the framebuffer or whatever it is that tty1
displays, but noteworthy is that if I just type:

orca

Orca works and me the screen as it sets up (even though I've already
set it up in the Gnome desktop X server).

After I go through the text Orca set up, it asks me to press RETURN
and log in again.

I answered "y" to "Do you want Orca to run at startup" - but it does
not, and when I try to run

orca

at the command line, it just prompts me (again) to set up Orca.

In other words, it doesn't store the setup information.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give me.

Sincerely,

David J. Ring, Jr.
Green Harbor, MA

-30-