Re: [orca-list] Orca in TTY1 Console Problem $DISPLAY environment

I've run into something like this before but don't remember the exact fix. Also, Orca has gone under fixes over time that made this better.

I want to be sure a couple things first here so I will ask some questions. What distro are you using? How are you invoking X and gnome? You said something about tty1; well, tty1 is usually a text console unless you're using some run level that changes all this. That's why I ask which distro you are running.

As an example, I run Arch linux and what I did to get Orca going and running every time is to login as a text user on tty1 with speakup running at the text console. I then started gnome for the first time by typing startx and made sure speakup was muted so as not to compete with Orca and such. I then waited for what I felt to be long enough and then did alt-f2 to open the command prompt window in gnome and then typed orca with no options. I shortly had speech and was able to configure the choices I wanted. Orca then told me I would need to restart gnome as I would expect. I then did another startx and gnome came up with Orca talking nice and pretty like <smile>.

I now have my machine configured with twelve VCs with native login prompts so whenever gnome is started, it takes tty13 and I can get there with right-alt-f1. I now use gdm to login but the remaining behavior is the same.

Hope this extra noise helps you some.