From: orca-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On
Behalf Of Michael Whapples
Sent: 19 August 2009 13:39
To: Orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Copy, Cut and Paste feedback Orca feature request

Hello,
here are some of my thoughts regarding this. I have got very used to orca
not announcing this information, so I don't feel a great need for me to have
it. However I can see that for some it could be useful. I would say though
we do need to make sure it is done correctly. I can think of an example of a
screen reader on another OS which seemed to speak cut, copy and paste
regardless of what the action really was, I believe it did this because it
was set to speak cut on control x, copy on control c and paste on control v,
unless the settings file for the specific application said otherwise. This
example is as bad, possibly even worse than our current situation with orca
as its speech output could actually be wrong rather than non-existent.

Now Will's suggestion of a way of monitoring the clipboard directly (or
checking the clipboard) would be the best way as this doesn't depend at all
on the key presses. I haven't got a clue whether this would be possible or
not (either directly with at-spi (although Will doesn't think there is a
way) or through another application).

Isaac, do you have any clue as to how the screen reader you are thinking of
does this? Does it respond to the key press and then check whether cut, copy
or paste may have occurred or does it do it by monitoring the clipboard? I
know that the accessibility APIs on different OSs do differ in the way they
work, but it would indicate whether a satisfactory solution could be done by
monitoring the most commonly used cut, copy and paste keys (IE. ctrl+x,
ctrl+c and ctrl+v). As an example of my thinking here, we could make a
pretty good guess that something has been copied if the user presses ctrl+c
and there is something selected.

Michael Whapples