Re: [orca-list] Copy, Cut and Paste feedback Orca feature request

Hello,
here are some of my thoughts regarding this. I have got very used to orca not announcing this information, so I don't feel a great need for me to have it. However I can see that for some it could be useful. I would say though we do need to make sure it is done correctly. I can think of an example of a screen reader on another OS which seemed to speak cut, copy and paste regardless of what the action really was, I believe it did this because it was set to speak cut on control x, copy on control c and paste on control v, unless the settings file for the specific application said otherwise. This example is as bad, possibly even worse than our current situation with orca as its speech output could actually be wrong rather than non-existent.

Now Will's suggestion of a way of monitoring the clipboard directly (or checking the clipboard) would be the best way as this doesn't depend at all on the key presses. I haven't got a clue whether this would be possible or not (either directly with at-spi (although Will doesn't think there is a way) or through another application).

Isaac, do you have any clue as to how the screen reader you are thinking of does this? Does it respond to the key press and then check whether cut, copy or paste may have occurred or does it do it by monitoring the clipboard? I know that the accessibility APIs on different OSs do differ in the way they work, but it would indicate whether a satisfactory solution could be done by monitoring the most commonly used cut, copy and paste keys (IE. ctrl+x, ctrl+c and ctrl+v). As an example of my thinking here, we could make a pretty good guess that something has been copied if the user presses ctrl+c and there is something selected.

Michael Whapples