Re: [orca-list] Punctuation names

Yeah, I would love to be able to turn those off; maybe a user option
perhaps? Many times, I see the expression LBS while talking to
Window-Eyes users and in that context, we're meaning Load before
Startup; not pounds.  I also see addresses with DR as in Drive and
definitely not doctor.  I could live with Ctrl as control but then
again, If I were proof reading text or something, I would want to hear
the exact representation and not an interpretation.  So again, an
option to turn all expansions off would be an excellent enhancement
and put espeak miles ahead of all these other synths who insist on
this.  Even the good sounding Cepstral voices do that achronym
expansion in even a worse way.

The angle brackets you referred to? "<" would be "less" or "less than"
and ">" would be "greater" or "greater than"  Frankly as a personal
preference, I like as few silibles as possible so speech goes faster.
That's why I suggested "Line" for "Under score" but again, to each his
own on things like this.

Oh, on the parentheses, I think this may vary depending on who you
talk to, but I think the more correct pronunciation would stress the
second silible of paren.

Hope this helps.