Re: [orca-list] Problem with setup on Fedora 9

Hello!

Janina Sajka <janina rednote net> writes:

Lars Bjørndal writes:
Hi!

As you and Janina suggested, it gave me better luck by installing
orca-2.24.1. I also had to install at-spi and at-spi-python. However,
I have some issues:

- orca -t or --text or --help from the command line gives the
  following:

[python code removed]
Yes, this has been broken for some time.

One comment, you probably want to run as your ordinary user, and not
root.

Of course, but I would like to do it as root to prove that it isn't
related to permissions or the like.

- I've uninstalled pulseaudio, and configured GNOME to use ALSA,
  wherever possible. However, the login sound doesn't play.

I've seen progress on this recently. However my results are still mixed.

Check that you have gdm-2.22.0-10.fc9 or better.

That's what I have.

Nowadays, when I first boot, my GDM actually talks using Festival. I
have speech to select a user, or to type in my username, plus suitable
"asterisk" echoes as I type my password. Quaintly, Festival says
"good-bye" as GDM hands off to GNOME.

I also get the default GDM startup sound following my login.

However, if I ever restart X by issuing Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, none of the
above occurs. Similarly, if I restart the GUI runlevel by doing first
'telinit 3' followed by 'telinit 5' it still doesn't work. It only works
on initial boot.

I think I have an issue that I cannot play more than one sound at a
time. Therefore, I tried this /etc/asound.conf file, however with less
luck:

# Taken all from http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Configuration

pcm.dmixer {
  type dmix
  ipc_key 1024
  ipc_key_add_uid false
  ipc_perm 0666                       # mixing for all users
  slave {
    pcm "hw:0,0"
    period_time 0
    period_size 1024
    buffer_size 8192
    rate 44100
  }
  bindings {
    0 0
    1 1
  }
}

pcm.dsp0 {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.default {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

ctl.mixer0 {
  type hw
  card 0
}

Do you have other suggestions?

- I installed everything that's sounds like esd / esound, but esdplay
  file.wav doesn't work. Shouldn't it? No error messages. What can I
  do to fix it?

I avoid anything but aplay, mplayer, or ecasound, personally. I also use
Totem.

Lars, I don't know how many audio devices you use. If you have more than
one, you should create /etc/modprobe.conf and specify them as you wish.
Else, you're at the mercy of which firmware loads first to define which
is hw:0, and which hw:1, etc. This is not helpful for the speech user.

I'm running F9 on an Lenovo Thinkpad X61s. lshw says the following
about my sound card:

        *-multimedia
             product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1b
             bus info: pci 0000:00:1b.0
             version: 03
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0 module=snd_hda_intel

I added:

options snd_hda_intel model=thinkpad

to my /etc/modprobe.conf file, however, I don't think it did any
difference.

- Even if I started speech-dispatcer prior to log in into GNOME, Orca
  can only select GNOME speech espeak. How cound that be fixed?

Haven't worked with speech-dispatcher recently, I'm afraid. I use
gnome-speech plus the Speakup TTSynth driver in the console.

How can you easily change between speech output languages with
espeak/GNOME-speech?

- It seems to me that every time the screen saver kicks in, Orca
  crashes. How could I solve that?

Default is to prompt for password. Have you tried entering your password
and pressing enter? Orca should return. If you're not aware of this
behavior, it can seem that Orca has crashed. However, I've not seen
crashes because of the screensaver.

Ah good to know, and yes, it worked! thank you!

Lars