[orca-list] Gnome-Speech Choppiness

This may have been talked about before but can't remember for sure. I'm using gnome-speech with Espeak 1.37 and notice a lot of choppiness especially when disk activity is going on. I built Espeak with portaudio V19 and use ALSA for sound support; I believe gnome-speech uses OSS so if that is the case, then I'm using the OSS emulation layer for ALSA. Did someone say at some point that perhaps portaudio V18 would be less choppy? I'll tell you, if you wanna hear this choppiness and distorted speech, set gnome-speech to use espeak and then go burn a CD with Brasero and listen to what happens.

Thanks for any ideas.