[orca-list] can't start speech-dispatcher

hi list.

I don't know what might have gone wrong, but each time I try to run speech-dispatcher from the terminal by typing "sudo speech-dispatcher" it complains that it can't creat a pid file in /var/run/speech-dispatcher/speech-dispatcher.pid wrong permissions?

it used to work fine before I edited /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf. the only thing I meant to edit, and I think I did only this was to uncomment the line that adds IBM tts.

any ideas?

thanks,
Mohammed.