Re: [orca-list] Gnome-Speech Choppiness

Steve Holmes <steve holmesgrown com> writes:

This may have been talked about before but can't remember for sure.  I'm
using gnome-speech with Espeak 1.37 and notice a lot of choppiness
especially when disk activity is going on.  I built Espeak with
portaudio V19 and use ALSA for sound support; I believe gnome-speech
uses OSS so if that is the case, then I'm using the OSS emulation layer
for ALSA.  Did someone say at some point that perhaps portaudio V18
would be less choppy?  I'll tell you, if you wanna hear this choppiness
and distorted speech, set gnome-speech to use espeak and then go burn a
CD with Brasero and listen to what happens.

You can try rebuilding Espeak with portaudio v18, but I don't know
what's recommended for Slackware. V18 is recommended for Debian and
V19 is for Suse and Solaris. So what about Slackware?
Hermann

--
All peoples would live in peace, if they could give up only two things: God
and Country.

Alle Völker würden in Frieden leben, könnten sie nur auf zwei Dinge
verzichten: Gott und Vaterland.