Re: [orca-list] suggestions for openoffice/orca improvements

Hi, Will,

Willie Walker wrote:

The presentation of crossing page boundaries is an interesting thing that I don't believe Orca handles. If Orca were to handle this (I'm not sure if we get the info we need from OOo or not), what do you suggest the presentation be for speech and braille?

As for speech output, I would suggest two things. First, the current page numbershould always be available through "where am I" if that is the method for reading the status line. Second, I would suggest that, when the user is crossing a page boundary, the number of the page being entered is read before the content of that line. For instance, if the sentence "orca is a screen reader that works well with many gnome applications." spanned the page break between pages 1 and 2, with the page break occurring between "works" and "well", the user reading downwards would hear:

Orca is a screen reader that works

page 2 well with many gnome applications.

If reading "upwards" through the document, the user would hear:

"well with many gnome applications.

page 1 Orca is a screen reader that works

There are two ways that the user might hear these page indications. When reading using "read all", the page number announcements are a bit more jarring and out of place than when arrowing through the document. However, I think that the user could easily get used to hearing these announcements and process them out of the text being read. However, one way I can think of to indicate that the page numbers are not part of the text would be to have a "system voice" with different voice settings--this voice would be used whenever speaking an announcement that is not part of the current context. But, I don't think this is needed in this context. Do others agree or disagree?

My Braille skills are pretty poor, so I don't use a Braille display. As a result, my knowledge of what might work well in that output mode is poor. I think that suggestions for this should come from Braille users.

Thanks for all the work,

dave