Re: [orca-list] NOTICE: update to speech output for navigation by character

Hi Garrett:

I'm getting "symbol 0" when cursoring over various punctuation marks
such as quotes while using speech-dispatcher. This is in both flat
review and focus tracking mode.

Got me. I'm not seeing anything in the Orca code that outputs the word 'symbol'. Something might need fixing in speechdispatcherfactory.py:speakCharacter. It might need a call to chnames.getCharacterName(character), but I'm really afraid to touch anything in that module.

On another note, with gnome-speech, is it possible to specify which
punctuation characters are spoken at a particular punctuation level?
This is the one advantage I see in sd over gnome-speech.

You should be able to modify the 'punctuation' table in punctuation_settings.py. To do so in your ~/.orca/orca-customizations.py file, you would just import orca.puncutation_settings and then modify orca.punctuation_settings.punctuation to your heart's content. Let me know if that works - if so, I probably should write up something for it on the WIKI.

Will