Re: [orca-list] accessible irc program that works with orca

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 04:28:52PM +1000, Daniel Dalton wrote:

As Jason has said there are a lot for the cli.
Personally I prefer the cli for a lot of things and I think irc is better
in a cli.

I agree. I'm really not a GUI person, although ultimately it isn't a matter of
whether the user interface is a GUI or not (there are GUI versions of Emacs, Vi,
etc., after all), but rather the extent to which powerful commands are
provided and can be accessed from the keyboard directly (without having to
work through menus, dialogues, etc along the way).
I use irssi,
http://irssi.org/
I believe.
And it is one of the most powerful irc clients, it can log, auto join,
auto log etc.
And is very accessible with brltty (and since I am having to use speakup
since my display isn't working with my new box that also works)

Until you get your braille display working with the new box, you could always
run a network cable between your old machine and the new one, then access the
latter from the former over ssh.

I understand that Orca can operate over a network as well, but I don't know
how this is set up.

If this isn't possible already, it would be valuable to be able to forward an
Orca session over ssh in the same way that X sessions can be forwarded now. It
would also be important to maintain this ability as Orca moves to DBus.